Welcome!

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself." -Anonymous

Friday, December 17, 2010

Sevilla Part 2

I was sooo anxious to go to the flamenco show at Carboneria! O, how I missed "mi musica flamenquita!" (Watch the video!) We got there around 10:45pm and it was already packed to capacity for the 11pm show.  I of course made my way to the very front so I could see the clearly the precise steps of the flamenco dancer's heels.  As expected, it was amazing!  The singer sang from the very pit of his stomach, so we could literally feel the words he was singing. 

The next day we met up with my friends again, and had a very interesting adventure.  We ate more great food, including churros y chocolate again, and then we ended up at some random bar for dinner where we encountered a slew of funny characters.  I won't go into detail, but the night was filled with a lot of tinto (wine), and some rebojito, a typical Sevillian drink, that we made ourselves. Great fun!

On our last day in Sevilla, I met my friend Pia, who lived in Sevilla for a while before.  We decided to have a very American meal, hot wings.  We sat and caught up on each other's lives for hours, over wine of course.  It was good to see that crazy girl.  We had some crazy memories from Sevilla, and the same love of the city.  Later, I went to visit my senora, the woman I lived with for the first half of my yea abroad.  When I called her a few weeks before, to tell her I was in Spain, she informed me that she was in the hospital.  She had been in there almost a month, with a gallbladder infection. She is about 72 years old, and her husband is 78.  They are the cutest, most traditional Spanish couple. I decided to sneak Chulo into the hospital to cheer her up.  Because Spaniards are so lax about everything, I was able to bypass the info desk with Chulo in purse, without even being asked where I was going.  I also bought her some pink roses.  She was very happy to see me, and we talked for a while.  Her husband, who has always loved me, was there as well.  He is the funniest old man ever!  He used to sneak me anis, a typical liquor, in my tea at lunch.  Her youngest daughter was also there.  I talked with them for a while, but it was a bit sad to see her in the hospital with so many tubes in her arm.  She was sooo anxious to get out of the hospital, and return to her normal "wifely duties."  I once asked my senora what she did before, as a career.  Her answer was simple, she said "I did this."  Her whole life had been dedicated to her household, cooking and cleaning, and taking care of everyone.  She loved doing it.  To be in the hospital was taking away her livelihood.  One of her granddaughters, who was not allowed to visit, called her while I was there, and she began to cry.  I could not stay any longer. 

That night, before leaving Sevilla, we went to eat some great cheap pizza at this Italian bar.  All natural ingredients.  As we headed to the bus station at 11pm, I could not help but smile the whole way.  I love Sevilla!  I will never forget the memories it has given me.  It's tattooed on me!  "NoDo," no me ha dejado.  Sevilla never left my side ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment