Welcome!

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself." -Anonymous

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Turkey Day in Madrid- Never Have I EVER!

A few days before Thanksgiving, I attempted to explain the meaning of the American holiday to my Slovenian, French, and Spanish roommates.  This was a quite comical, hour-long conversation.  They could not understand the relationship between the pilgrims and the Native Americans, nor why that relationship somehow leads to our big feast.  I tried to describe the table set-up and how we go around and give thanks for things.  Then, I suggested that we have a real Thanksgiving dinner at the house, just between us roommates.  They we all in!

On the actual day of Thanksgiving, I actually sat in my bed all evening, taking care of Chulo who had diarrea.  I ate a tuna and cheese sandwhich for my Turkey Day dinner; sad, I know.  That Friday we had our dinner.  The girls, still not understanding the intensity of the Thanksgiving feast, made salads and desserts.  I decided to make Curry Chicken for the first time.  I cooked the chicken in a skillet first, then I added coconut milk and curry powder.  I put the mixture in a larger pot and added water, potatoes, and carrots; simmering for about 30 minutes.  I served it over white rice, and it turned out great!! Not your traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but very satisfying nonetheless.  Then, the fun began.

After we finished our meal, we broke out the bottle of vodka we had brought to share between us.  Of course I volunteered to mix drinks.  The plan was to drink up, and stay in and have a night of girl talk.  We had all dressed up, and we all put on Frenchie's fire red lipstick; which looked pretty ridiculous actually.  After a bit of drinking, we started playing the game "Never have I ever," which led to many new and interesting discoveries about my roommies, which I will keep to myself, lol.  Around 1am we decided that we had to go out.  I told my bouncer friend that we would be coming to Sol y Sombra, to ensure that we would all get in free.  We scurried to the metro to catch the last one.  Upon entering the club we were warmly welcomed with shots at the door.  You can imagine how my night ended......

No comments:

Post a Comment