Welcome!

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself." -Anonymous

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lost in Translation....and don't want to be found

I find myself randomly/gradually exploring Madrid, and discovering its many different faces.  Listening to the city talk has been a great learning experience.  Not only do I hear Spanish, but many other languages of the world.  I notice different color faces as we brush shoulders in the street and give warm saludos.  Madrid is "colorful."

I had my 3rd meeting with the teachers at the school, and I am ready to meet my kids! I sat in the teacher's lounge and conversed with the other teacher's, eager to practice their english with me.  Everything seemed so chaotic, yet perfect at the same time.  It felt good to be so welcomed and appreciated at the school.  Monday will be the true test.  Full schedule; visual arts, technology, english, social studies, and science! Pray for me!

I have been looking in the newspaper for random, fun things to do around Madrid, and I stumbled across something I was trying to cross off my bucket list; running club! In Spain, the only sport that is truly popular/taken seriously is of course, soccer.  The ad stated that the running team was full of diversity, fun, and best of all, free! I was all in!  Though I knew our practice site was somewhere nearby, I took the metro just to be sure.  I got off at Plaza de Espana and wandered around for about 20 minutes until I cam across a steep staircase and a hill.  I climbed about a thousand stairs before I saw the beautiful, open park and temple in front of me.  The sight overlooked the whole city! Gorgeous.  I wandered around some more, lookinjg for the neon colored running club shirts.  Jose Miguel was the first person I met, and we immediately took off running and talking.  After hearing me speak, he makes a confused face, and asks me if I am really from the U.S. lol.  I get that a lot here.  There are people on the team from Spain, London, Scottland, India, and Uruguay.  Many teachers, many interesting careers.  I love it! And our head trainer is a 75 year old Spanish man, who can probably outrun us all.

Another item on my Madrid bucket list was to buy a puppy in Spain.  I was sooo eager to do it, because I had been wanting one for a long time; a mini yorkie.  I wasted no time.  I looked online for puppies on sale for a couple of days, then I went to go see the same dog three times.  I wanted him sooo bad, but some issues with my french roommate made me very indecisive.  I won't go into detail on that, because that is a whole different entry; roommates. Anyway, I made a rash decision to say the least.  I bought the dog and was very content with the decision.  When I told people about my puppy they either said one of two things; "that's great, he's so cute and small"; or "why did you buy a dog in Spain, how are you going to travel?"  After having Chulo for only three days, I feel a mix of both sentiments.  I feel like a new mother who was not ready for a child.  He is the most well behaved, calm dog I have ever met; and so adorable.  I can put him in my purse and take him almost everywhere with me; even to the movies.  However, I feel like I let my impulsive behavior get the best of me.  Since I still have this "issue" with my roommate as well, I don't know how long I will keep him.  We shall see.....

2 comments:

  1. So glad to read that you're finding your wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do not give Chulo back... your going to hurt his feelings! He is probably already calling you "Mama" in dog speak!

    ReplyDelete