Welcome!

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself." -Anonymous

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sunday is Fun Day!!!

I was amazed at myself that I actually woke up to go to running practice Sunday morning, after my tiring vacay.  Nonetheless, I awoke at 9:30 to be at practice at 10:00.  I particularly enjoyed this practice because we focused on speed and strength rather than distance.  Our team seems to grow every practice. Love it.  After practice, I quickly showered to make it to my lunch date at a friend's house.  Her parents are Arab, from Jordan and Algeria, and she heard of my love of Arabic tea; so she did the honors.  Lunch was yummy; pita bread, lettuce, avocado, fetta cheese, and olive oil; simple, but it made my heart smile.  Natural mint tea and arabic sweets to follow.  After leaving her house about 4pm, I went back to my apartment and my two rommates (Slovenia and France) were ready to hit the streets.  We had planned to go explore a park near a lake and then go see the Vagina Monologues show that night. 

The park we went to was nice.  Very open, with a lake, and all kinds of interesting people. We looked out on the lake, and we heard singing and clapping coming from the other side.  Our curiosity led us toward the crowd, where we discovered a crowd of Spaniards dressed in 50's (American) style clothing, singing swing tunes and dancing.  What for? Who knows!  Hilarious.  They were also out on the lake, in boats, singing and playing instuments to 50's music.  The boats looked enticing, and we had time before the show, so we inquired about the price.  It was only 4.50 euros for four people, 45 minutes! We were all in!  We hopped into the boat and I took the back seat because I had Chulo in my purse....and because I knew I would be horrible at boat rowing.  My roommates got to work with the paddles and we had a pleasant ride.  I ended up trying to row too, but that didn't go so well.

We finished just in time to book it to the theater in time for our showtime at 9.  We were all starving, so we pick up some tortilla espanola and snuck it into the theater, along with the puppy in my purse.  I had taken him to the movies in my purse before, so I thought he would be fine.  He is usually pretty chill in my purse and falls asleep.  Not the case at this show.  He squirmed around forever, and insisted on biting my fingers for most of the play.  He calmed down and I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  Spanish people, in general, are much more sexually open than are Americans.  Spanish Vagina Monologues was a little more vulgar than our version at Spelman, but that was fine.  When the show ended our night did not.  We wanted to get drinks, and I was still hungry.  There are so many cute bars around, it's always hard to decide.  We picked one around the theater and sat for some wine, tapas, and good convo for a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment