Welcome!

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself." -Anonymous

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Buena Gente

I woke up at 2pm on Sunday feeling like I had been sleeping for years.  I made a nice lunch and just lounged around.  The day after a long night, there is always a funny story time.  Hilarious.  I had planned to get drinks with a Scottish girl from my running team at 5:30, so I sat in my pjs until, 5:15pm.  It's quite funny that this girl lives in Spain and speaks no spanish, but I cannot understand her English.  Of course in Scotland, the language spoken is English, but her accent is soooo strong, sometimes I haven't a clue.  Anyway, it began to rain as I walked out the door with Chulo and no umbrella.  I met her at a nearby bar.  I was in the mood for a dessert.  I ordered a cup of  chocolate, which is likely to raise your blood sugar by 1000 points.  Chocolate here is sooooo rich.  The waiter talked me into getting a fudge brownie as well, topped with ice cream and chocolate syrup.  Now I felt bad for missing practice, but it was delicious! 

I sat and thought about the friends I have made so far in my little time in Madrid, and I think they will be good ones. I have been meeting the most interesting people, and doing the coolest things.  Through track, school, and intercambios, by friends list is very diverse.  I love it!

Later that night I met with another new intercambio friend, the girl from Egypt who looks just like me.  She is fluent in English, Spanish, and Arabic, and is a translator here in Madrid; going on her 4th year.  We ran through the rain and went to a small spot called Brava, which is a red "spicy" sauce.  We had red wine, patatas bravas y croquetas.  We conversed about life, men, careers, travel, and salsa!  As we were about to leave, a tall white man approached me, and introduced himself as "an American too!" Clearly, sir.  He and his niece basically told us their life stories, and why they come to Spain so much, and how the woman was about the have invitro fertilization in Barcelona soon!  Ok, TMI.  Although he was nice and funny, he was speaking way too close to me and smoking; gross! We excused ourselves and ran through the rain to go to a Teteria (tea/hookah lounge).  We shared some Hierbabuena, Morrocan mint tea, and some more interesting convo.  We made a date to go salsa after the intercambio this week Thursday.  Fun times to come! 

Buena Gente, simply means "good people," and that's what I have found here so far.  So many interesting friendships are being formed.  Madrid is great!

1 comment:

  1. You're having such great adventures; keep up the reflections

    ReplyDelete