Welcome!

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself." -Anonymous

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Random thoughts and happenings as of late.....

My apologies for having been MIA from blogging this past week or so; I have been engaged in my new and fun Madrid routine!  I was also very sick due to this crazy weather here, and my sickly students.  I am doing soooo much in Madrid; in fact, more than I have ever done in the States.  First, of course, I have my kids who have been great lately.  I am really loving being a teacher.  It is very rewarding to know that I am having such an impact on the program and the teachers really appreciate my help.  I have learned so much just being at the school; and many observations/comparisons as well.  I am also realizing some of my own talents I didn't know I had.  Teaching subjects such as technology and visual arts has allowed me to expand my mind and step outside of my comfort zone.  Who knew Stephanie could teach Science!  In my weekly teachers' meeting, I am constantly trying to come up with new teaching methodologies, and I think they are working.  Although, I have to say that I still don't quite understand the Spanish education system.  Failing is quite normal, and expectations are quite low.  I have gone back and forth with myself reasoning why this could be; the fact that spanish kids are beyond spoiled, or because they do not have to pay for education, or that they are only obliged to go to school until 16, or maybe because the Spanish lifestyle is too chill after all; who knows.  It is apparent though, that most of the kids are satisfied with mediocrity.  This week, we had a wake up call, both the teachers and the students.  They failed!! All subjects, all tests!  Ok, that's an exaggeration, but grades were not so good.  We immediately started making changes in the classroom in order to avoid further catastrophe.  We are working harder than ever, and demanding the most from the students.  Fun, but chaotic.  Makes me think about getting into International Education Policy.  Hmmmm, who knows.

Other that school, I have been trying to keep up in French class that I have twice a week.  It is much harder than I thought it would be.  It has been barely 2 months, so I know that patience is necessary, but it seems like a doozy!  I can read and understand much better than I can speak.  French pronunciation is HARD! I love languages though, so I plan on sticking with it and maybe actually engaging my (sometimes) intollerable French roommate in some conversation.  Arabic is definitely next on my list.  There are many Arabic speaking immigrants here.  It is such a beautiful language, but undoubtedly even harder than French.  On that note, I have been working with Amnesty International Spain, which has been extremely rewarding.  My particular focus group is North Africa, so French and Arabic are a plus.  I plan on writing some kind of report in relation to my work with Amnesty and North African immigrants.  At Amnesty, I was asked to draft a letter in English to the President of Tunisia, demanding that human rights violations be addressed.  I was pretty cool! We have a couple of campaigns going on for a Prisoner of conscience in Lybia, and a case in Sahara.  I feel so involved!

Every other Wednesday, I have been going to Toastmasters International (professional public speaking organization) in Spanish.  I was a member of Toastmasters before, so I knew what it was like; but even more fun in Spanish!  I can't wait to give my first speech!  Typical Spanish way, we meet at a bar and we drink at the meeting.  The last time I went, I was still feeling a bit ill so I asked for a Hot Toddy (whiskey and tea), of all things, to get rid of my cold!  I was feeling quite nice!  Because I work at a bilingual institution we are mandated to speak English at all times to the bilingual profesors and students.  This requirement has actually helped me to improve my (english) speaking skills, becasue as you all know, I sometimes speak like of have a mouth full of you know what.  I have to speak very slowly and clearly at school, which I think is a good thing.  Recently, I was asked by a guy who works in the bar below me to translate the menu into English.  I was delighted!  He asked how much I would charge, but I figured it would be super easy, so I suggested they pay me with free food and drinks at the bar! Hook up!  I had glass after glass of wine, and soon I didn't know if I was writing the write words in English.  I love getting to know the people in my neighborhood; I get to explore a lot while walking Chulo.  Everyone absolutely loves him!  I am lucky to have such a well-behaved dog because I can bring him everywhere with me and no one minds. 

What else could I possibly be doing in Madrid?? Well, I am giving private English lessons to one of my co-worker's son.  He is 7 and is a bottle of energy!  He love Chulo as well.  I basically get paid to play with the boy for an hour a week.  Ever since I arrived in Madrid, I had an itch to write; I mean professionally.  A particular newspaper, In Madrid, peeked my interest.  It is a newspaper, written in English, for foreigners living in Madrid.  So, I wrote the editor!!  We went for coffee and he loved my ideas!  2 upcoming articles!!  I couldn't ask for more of a vida in Madrid! God is sooo good!  I am definitely doing the most, and loving it!

1 comment:

  1. Chica, you are always so busy! Congrats on the upcoming articles. Van a ser para InMadrid, verdad??

    PS. this is Cassandra ;)

    ReplyDelete