Welcome!

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself." -Anonymous

Monday, November 22, 2010

Spanish Connections....

On Thursday I had my first meeting with the newspaper I will be writing for.  It was very chill, and almost all of the writers were there.  Myself and a couple others were the first to arrive.  (I should have known no one would be on time)  We sat and chatted with the editor for a while.  He bought the table bottles of wine and we drank and chatted for a while.  There are some very interesting people writing for the paper; people who are doing some very cool things here, like directing a movie.  It's nice to know that I am not the only loca foreigner who is in love with Spain.  Very cool people.  After about my 5th or 6th glass, I decided to head out to meet my French roomie for my usual intercambio stop.  She had been wanting to tag along for a while to see what all the hype was about, and since we were getting along this week I told her to come.  It was, as usual, very crowded; some new faces, many old faces, regulars. I met a few new Spanish guys, a French guy, and chatted with my old friends.  The owner and intercambio organizer, David asked me why there was no drink in my hand, and he quickly fixed that problem.  It's always good to be friends with the party people.

My roommate and I stayed for a wile at the intercambio, talking it up with everyone; she was having fun, and I was practicing my French as well.  Around 1am I realized it was time for my Thursday salsa fix!  As usual, I have my get in free card, but it's only good until 1:30 so I had to hustle.  I told Frenchie I would try to smuggle her one too.  I walked to the door and walked right in, and I told her to wait for me outside.  I immediately found my Egyptian friend and salsa buddy, and she gave me one of the free cards to give to my roommate.  I indescretely ran outside to give it to her and told her to hurry up and get in before 1:30.  As expected, Frenchie took her sweet little time in coming in, and did not make it.  I felt bad, but I told her to be careful getting home, and peace out!  I wanted to dance!  I danced my little feet off for only and hour, because I knew I had to wake up for a Fulbright meeting in the morning.  When I arrived to m house, happy as can be, walked to he kitchen to find Frenchie with our new curly haired friend, Pedro, from t ntercamio.  I was surprised but also delighted to see him, and I was guessing this was not a "hook-up" situation because I also sensed a gay vibe from him.  Anyway, we chatted for bit and then I hit the sheets.

When I woke up on Friday for my meeting I had a serious headache.  It was 7:45am and I had to shower, wash my hair, and be there by 9.  I made it!  Thanks God there were pastries when I arrived.  The meeting was meant to discuss our progress in the schools and any side projects we may have.  Instead, we spent two whole hours listening to people complain how bad there kids were, or how little attention their teachers paid them.  I was bored.  But at the same time I felt bad; my experience has been great! I couldn't be happier with my school.  My teachers and I have perfect chemistry and I am allowed just as much control of my class that I would want.  It was painful to sit and listen to sooo many complaints, so I decided to lighten the mood and bring up some positive experiences of my own.  I gave suggestions about how I obtained such positive results, and I pray that they will help people.  Positive reinforcement is key in education; and you have to put your foot down from the start, or else your doomed forever!  Upon leaving the meeting I was uber excited to hear a friend suggest going out for a big american brunch; and that's just what we did!  There was this "American" cafe nearby, where they had on the menu "breakfast americano."  Of course that's what I ordered; pancakes, bacon, eggs, and fries! Slightly off, but it worked.  People in Spain think that pancakes and crepes are desserts, so they came with chocolate, caramel, or strawberry sauce; gross! 

I took a big ciesta when I got home and then took Chulo to the park.  He is so playful, but is still very much a baby.  Other dogs tower over him!  I had a very chill Friday evening, with all my roommates at home.  I spent about an hour trying to explain to them how and why we celebrate Thanksgiving.  They didn't get it!  They dont understand the pilgrims, and they don't understand the big turkey at all.  This explanation was quite hilarious.  I suggested that we have a small dinner, just us this week, but Idon't know if they will take it as serious as I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment